Finance News

Lakers’ Jeanie Buss says dad would have supported sale to Mark Walter


Jeanie Buss on her family's decision to sell the Lakers: 'It's bittersweet'

Six-time NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers owner Jeanie Buss said new majority owner Mark Walter’s access to capital will help the team best compete with the NBA’s top franchises — and that her late father, Jerry Buss, would have supported the sale.

“What was important to him was that the Lakers stay at the top of the NBA, and to stay at the top of the NBA, you need to have the resources,” Buss said. “You need to have everybody pulling together. And he would want [that for] the Lakers, because the Lakers are his legacy.”

While the NBA has a salary cap that can limit team spend, franchises do have some flexibility if owners are willing to pay a luxury tax. Team spend currently ranges from about $154 million to $220 million, with the Lakers seventh overall at $197 million, according to Basketball Reference. Walter has consistently been one of the top spending owners in Major League Baseball since acquiring the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012.

Minority owner Jeanie Buss of the Los Angeles Lakers and her husband Jay Mohr prior to game one of a first round NBA basketball game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Minnesota Timberwolves at Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 19, 2025.

Keith Birmingham | MediaNews Group | Pasadena Star-News | Getty Images

Buss and her family agreed to sell their majority stake in the team to Walter last year at a $10 billion valuation. ESPN recently documented significant conflict between the Buss siblings that led to the sale, which Buss called “bittersweet.”

Jerry Buss willed ownership of the team to his six children in a trust when he died in 2013.

“My siblings were involved in the decision that was made,” Jeanie Buss said. “It’s about the Lakers and the greatness and what the fans expect and you need resources and you need a direction. I think it’s fair to say that my family — we all have our different opinions and [are] living our lives, choosing what we want to do with our time, and this was the best decision for all six of us.”

Jeanie Buss on Lakers sale, partnering with Jordan and LeBron James' future

The Buss family kept about 15% of the team, and Jeanie Buss agreed to stay on as governor for at least five years. Still, when asked if she plans to stay for the full term, Buss seemingly hedged her answer.

“That’s what I agreed to,” Buss said. “Mark Walter and I are very comfortable with the way things are set up. And I expect things to go on and be successful. And you know, I’m not going anywhere.”

Buss acknowledged the past 12 months have been one of transition for the team, given both the sale and the team’s decision to trade star forward Anthony Davis for Doncic about a year ago. Buss said the team’s focus is now building around Luka Dončić, rather than 41-year-old LeBron James, who has been the face of the team since he joined in 2018.

Luka Doncic with Lakers Head Coach JJ Redick & General Manager Rob Pelinka at his introduction.

Harry How | Getty Images Sport | Getty Images

“The partnership will give us the stability to continue to move forward as we build towards a team…



Read More: Lakers’ Jeanie Buss says dad would have supported sale to Mark Walter

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More